Go back in time to the prehistoric age in Caveman Bob, a 5 reel, 20 payline slot from Relax Gaming. Boasting superb, 3D-style design, the action takes place in 3 different environments which offer differing degrees of volatility. Look out for re-spins with colossal symbols, a spin the wheel bonus and symbol upgrades as well as wild extras. Play on all devices from between 20p and £100 per spin.
First impressions here are good as the sounds and visuals are excellent. The action starts out in Bob’s cave. He can change locations to the Oasis or Mountain by collecting objects. Once he’s visited all 3 environments, you can then choose where to play.
On the reels you’ll see gemstone playing card suits as well as 4 higher value prehistoric animal symbols. Bob is the top payer, awarding 4, 15 or 25 times your stake if you land 3, 4 or 5 on a payline. Those same amounts are on offer from the wild which replaces all the standard symbols. The randomly triggered wild extras on offer here vary depending on which environment you’re playing in:
- Cave feature - here stalactites land and can turn between 1 and 5 reels wild.
- Oasis feature - fire embers can engulf the reels and add up to 13 spreading wilds into play.
- Mountain feature - look out for a blizzard which can add between 3 and 15 random wilds.
Caveman Bob also comes with 3 features than can hit regardless of which environment you’re playing in:
- Hand of Bob feature - once triggered, the lowest value symbol is upgraded to a better paying symbol. The upgrades keep on coming until a new winning combination is created.
- Mammoth Re-Spin feature - here a re-spin is awarded. The mammoth symbol turns into a colossal symbol. These can be 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 in size depending on which environment you’re playing in.
- Bob’s Wheel feature - this is a spin the wheel bonus. There are cash prizes up to 50 times your stake to be won.
The variance differs depending on which environment you’re playing in. The higher the altitude, the more you could win. The features are the hardest to come by in the mountain environment but on the rare occasions you do land them they offer the biggest potential rewards. The overall volatility is in the medium range with top payouts of 500 times your stake on each spin or re-spin.
Caveman Bob is an unusual and slightly complicated slot. It can take a little while to get used to the different environments and the rewards that they offer so a few spins in demo mode are recommended if possible. The imagery, animation and sound on offer here are excellent. The features aren’t bad either. We managed to land them pretty regularly too.
This prehistoric adventure is an enjoyable one. It looks and sounds superb and delivers plenty of action. The lack of a free spins round might put off some players. Even without that, we found Caveman Bob to be a very playable take on a classic theme. If you like the theme, Pragmatic Play’s Jurassic Giants or Playtech’s Jackpot Giant are worth playing.