Enter a mysterious world of codes, cyphers and secrets in The Shadow Order. Created by Push Gaming and played using a 5x5, cluster pays game engine, it comes with cascading reel wins which can deliver plenty of wild extras. Unlock characters to bring other wild modifiers into play. There’s also a free spins round with even more wild extras. Play on all devices from between 10p and £100 per spin.
The design in The Shadow Order is excellent. The action takes place in the garden of a luxurious mansion. On the reels you’ll find coins, chess pieces, code breakers and books of cyphers. The top standard symbol is the pair of gold rings which awards 2.5, 25 or 120 times your stake if you land 3, 4 or 5 in combination.
There’s also a wild that replaces all of the standard symbols as well as paying 5, 50 or 300 times your stake (for 3, 4 or 5). After a winning combination is created, the successful symbols are removed and new ones drop in and replace them. These continue as long as a new winner hits.
Above the reels you’ll see green, blue and purple orbs. Get on a run of cascades and these orbs drop down onto the reels and act as wilds. There are 3 special Hot Zones on the reels. If an orb lands in 1 of those zones, it will activate its feature:
- Orb of Destruction feature - this destroys all the lower value symbols and the creates a new symbol drop.
- Orb of Creation feature - between 3 and 6 wilds are randomly added to the reels.
- Orb of Preservation feature - all of the highest paying symbols on display are held. A series of cascades then follow which continue as long as a new matching symbol hits.
The Shadow Order also comes with a series of extras that each relate to the animated characters. There are 4 of these. You upgrade your character by landing ring symbols which in turn fill a meter. All 4 of the character inspired extras can trigger at random following a base game spin – here’s what to expect:
- Molly the Messenger feature - Molly fully charges the top row of the reels which allows orb 1 to fall.
- Billy the Gambler feature – Billy converts lower value symbols into something more rewarding.
- Archie the Spy feature – Archie adds 1 wild symbol to each column.
- Amarillo the Magister feature – Amarillo awards a cascade that features only higher value symbols.
The other bonus on offer in The Shadow Order is the Free Games feature. It becomes active when all 3 orbs reach the bottom right hand corner of the reels. With 5 free spins awarded, any orbs that land in the free spin are sticky wilds. Orbs can also deliver expanding multipliers which can really get things moving – this can reach 30x!
You’d expect a slot based on secrets and codes to be a rather complicated one and The Shadow Order doesn’t disappoint on that score. There’s plenty going on here. In fact, we found it slightly baffling to start with as there are so many moving parts. Get accustomed to the unusual gameplay with some demo mode play if you can.
Once you’ve got your eye in, there’s a lot to like here. The visuals are terrifically well done, as is the magical soundtrack. The cascading reels deliver plenty of action. We found the features quite tricky to find though. If you fancy a bit of mystery while you spin, The Shadow Order is an intriguing prospect.
Like other Push Gaming slots, The Shadow Order is highly volatile – you can win a whopping 24,204.8 times your stake on each free spin with the expanding multipliers. I also suggest you try Jammin’ Jars (by Push Gaming) which has achieved cult status.