American Dad! is 5 reel, 40 payline slot which is brought to you by Playtech. The game is the official slot for the animated, adult focused sitcom. Hugely successful, the slot version can be played from just 40p per spin across desktop, mobile and tablet devices. It’s all about the Free Games feature which gives you 5 different extras based on 5 characters from the TV show.
Set in Langley Falls, the cartoon style graphics and animations perfectly depict the television series – there’s red, white and blue (the American flag colours) A, K and Q playing card symbols as well as members from the Smith family. You have Steve (son), Hayley (daughter), Klaus (man-in-a-fish-body pet), Francine (mom) and Stan (dad) – Stan is the highest value symbol giving you 250 coins for 5 across a payline.
The wild symbol is Roger (the alien) who replaces all symbols on the reels except the Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel – it’s also the most valuable symbol giving you 750 coins for a 5-symbol combination.
American Dad! is all about the Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel symbol – if you get it simultaneously on reels 1 and 3, you will trigger a re-spin. Here, you get to chance to land that all-important symbol on reel 5. If you do so (in the re-spin or all at once), you will activate the Free Games feature.
The Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel on reel 1 will then determine which character’s feature you will play whilst on reel 3, it will power up each feature in a different way. On reel 5, you will find out how many free spins you will have – either 3, 5, 8, 10 or 25. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect from each character feature:
- Stacking Stan feature – Stan appears stacked the American way as extra stacks of Stan symbols are added to the reels below each existing Stan symbol. The Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel on reel 3 determines how many Stan symbols are added per stack.
- Roger’s Random Wilds feature – Roger comes back from another wild night out and vomits chunky random wilds on every single free spin. The Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel (on reel 3) determines how many random wilds are added per free spin – the results are 2, 3, 5 or 10 random wilds.
- Francine’s Holy Grail feature – your aim is to help Klaus reach Francine’s Holy Grail with Klaus the fish patches appearing in random positions on the reels for every single free spin. If Francine lands on a position with a patch on it, she turns into an expanding wild symbol.
- Hayley’s Progressive Multiplier feature – here, you get progressive with Hayley for some huge multipliers. Hayley collects signatures on each free spin which increases your multiplier by 1. The Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel (on reel 3) determines which multiplier you begin win (either 2x, 3x, 5x or 10x).
- Wheels and the Legman feature – this is the case of the wild path as Wheels and the Legman chase across the reel set leaving a trail of wild symbols on every single free spin. The Schmooblydong Bonus Wheel will determine the number of wilds that are added on the path on each free spin.
There’s a lot going on in American Dad! with the bonus features quite straightforward once you get going. Playtech has done a great job on the slot and it does help it’s based on an animated TV series where the graphics and animations are exactly like the show.
I found it to be a medium variance game with balanced payouts throughout – however, I found my biggest wins to comes in Roger’s Random Wilds feature with up to 10 random wilds added on up to 25 free spins and Hayley’s Progressive Multiplier feature where you can benefit from multipliers up to 10x.
Fun, visually superb and with lots of potentially rewarding bonus features, Playtech has come up trumps with this branded release. I also recommend you play Family Guy from IGT which was created by Seth MacFarlane (1 of the creators of American Dad!).