Gemix is powered by Play ‘N Go and looks more like Candy Crush that a slot game – played on a 7×7 reel set from 50p to £100 per spin on all devices, the aim is to round up precious gemstones for payouts of up to 1,000 times your total stake on each spin. It has a magical feel to it with miners, princesses and wizards appearing.
Visually, it does look more like a mobile game that a slot – symbols on the reels include 8 radiant gemstones in a variety of rainbow colours. The symbols drop from above to populate the game grid with winning formulations constructed when you form a cluster of 5 of more identical gems. The 2 most valuable gems are the heart and star – they pay out a whopping 500 and 1,000 times your stake respectively for 15 or more in a cluster!
When you get a winning cluster, all contributing symbols are burst away and replaced by new gems – this gives you chance to win again and again from every spin. If you manage to blast away 20 gems of more, you will trigger the Crystal Charge feature which gives you access to 4 extras:
- Nova Blast – 1 symbol explodes and in the process, destroys and transforms adjacent gems
- Crystal Warp – 1 symbol is chosen with all matching symbols warped to other symbols
- Light Beam – 1 symbol will fire out light beams with all hit symbols transforming to other symbols
- Chain Lightning – 2 corner symbols are connected with a chain lightning with all hit symbols transforming into 1 of the corner symbols
If you manage to form a winning combination with 40 or more symbols, the Crystal Charge feature becomes the Super Charge feature meaning all wins from the 4 extras are subject to a 3x multiplier!
Furthermore, Gemix benefits from a World Pattern feature with the game being played in 1 of 3 worlds. You can level up through the various worlds by clearing patterns – you do this by winning on the indicated positions. The patterns appear to the right of the gird.
When you have a non-winning spin, World Wilds (which substitute for all symbols), can randomly appear which each of them having their own unique wild:
- Miner’s World – up to 10 miner’s lamp wilds can appear
- Princess’ World – the princess’ lollipop wild can spread from edge to edge
- Wizard’s World – up to 8 spell book sticky wild symbols can appear on the grid
Gemix may seem complicated but it’s rather simple once you getting spinning – basically, you can randomly benefit from up to 10 wilds, a spreading wild and up to 8 sticky wilds randomly (depending on what world you’re playing in). Getting winning combos of 20 or more symbols will give you access to 4 extras with wins involving 40 or more symbols trebling your outcome on top.
I found Gemix to be an entertaining slot which is different to traditional video slots – it’s fun, quirky and is a low to medium variance game which should give you plenty of entertainment. I do prefer more volatile offerings such as Book of Dead and Grim Muerto (both by Play ‘N Go).