Spirits of the Valkyrie is a 5 reel, 20 payline slot by Novomatic which has a Norse mythology theme. Playable from 20p to £100 a spin on all devices, it comes with 4 randomly triggered base game features. There’s also win stacks that give you a combined total of your last 10 wins and free spins with win both ways payouts.
Visually, I must say Spirits of the Valkyrie is probably Novomatic’s best looking title to date – with a mystical feel, you will see snow-capped mountains and a Valkyrie in the background. With an epic soundtrack, symbols on the reels include frozen A, K, Q, J and 10 card values as well as swords, axes, Thor’s hammer and shields.
The book is the wild symbol and substitutes for all symbols bar the scatters – it’s also the most rewarding giving you 25 times your stake for 5 across a payline. In the base game, Valkyrie (who is to the right of the reel set) can randomly trigger 1 of 4 bonus features – these will give you the following:
- Colossal Magic feature – huge symbols appear that can cover entire reels (up to 3)
- Blade of Fury feature – 1 or more wilds can be added to the reels
- Ice Blade feature – the Valkyrie can slide 1 or more symbols from reel 5 across all other reels to give you guaranteed payouts
- Shockwave Slash feature – the Valkyrie can add matching symbols to an existing win to enhance your payouts. Each upgrade counts as another win
Spirits of the Valkyrie also comes more bonus features. There’s a diamonds with wings symbol which is the scatter – this will appear only on reels 1 and 3. Then you have the Free Spins or Win Stack scatter which lands on reel 5. This can lead to 3 more features being triggered:
- Win Stack feature – all wins have an influence on the meter found to the left of the reel set. The total value of your 10 most recent wins is what you’ll win.
- Free Spins feature – you get 10 free spins with win both ways payouts (from left to right and right to left). The total win from the free spins is added to the win stack (in case you trigger it quickly again).
- Free Spins and Win Stack feature- this is played when you get the Win Stack and Free Spins scatter together. This will give you 10 free spins as well as the value of the win stack meter after you’ve played the free spins.
I really, really like Spirits of the Valkyrie – visually, its superb for starters. In terms of bonus features, the randomly triggered base game features keep things ticking along but it’s all about the 3 main ones. I love the Free Spins and Win Stack feature as you will play 10 free spins with win both ways payouts. If you manage to get a good result, the total will be added to the win stack which is then won.
Medium variance, you can win 500 times your stake on each spin or free spin bit the win stake can result in some decent wins too. I would have liked Spirits of the Valkyrie to be more volatile but the gameplay is superb and unique. If you want to head to the mysterious Valhalla, there’s plenty of options with ELK Studios’ Valkyrie and Playtech’s Call of the Valkyries good choices.