Enjoy a comic take on one of history’s most influential figures in Ave Caesar, a 5 reel, 20 payline slot from Leander Games. This trip to ancient Rome comes with plenty of extras including 4 base game modifiers and a quartet of bonus rounds as well as a progressive jackpot. Play on all devices from between 20p and £20 per spin.
Set against columned, marble buildings the reels include Roman numerals (rather than the usual A to 10 symbols) alongside a woman, a Roman solider, a centurion and the Ave Caesar logo. Sporting a laurel wreath, Caesar himself is the wild. He offers awards of up to 50 times your stake if you land 5 on a payline. Livening up the base game are a selection of mini-features that can trigger at random on any spin:
- Hannibal’s Heroes feature – the famous general can appear at random and with a blow of his horn summon his army of elephants on to the reels. As they march, they drop extra wilds into play. A new payout is made with the new added wilds.
- The Gaul feature – a mysterious Gaul will appear. Fellow Gauls will lob stones at him. The symbols that these stones land on will then transform into the same matching symbol and a new payout is made. Random multipliers can be added here too.
- The Ave Caesar feature – when Caesar appears he’ll offer 6 scrolls. Behind them are a 5 of a kind win, a big win or a trigger of 1 of the 4 main bonus features.
- Centurion Maximus feature – the Centurion orders his soldiers to drop a banner over the reels. These will reveal a giant 2×2 or better still colossal 3×3 symbols.
There are also 4 main feature rounds. These are triggered by landing the bonus symbol on reels 1, 3 and 5 on the same spin. Which feature you get depends on what symbol lands on reel 5:
- Caesar’s Conquests Bonus feature – Caesar goes into tents, hunting for pretty young women. If he’s successful, you’ll win a cash prize. Keep on picking until you land a collect.
- The Roman Empire Bonus feature – choose a location on the ancient map. Your troops will go into battle, winning prizes as they conquer territory. The round continues until all your troops are spent.
- Glory of Rome Free Spins Bonus feature – you’ll be awarded 10 free spins here. Each time a wild lands, it will be sticky for 3 free spins. Look out for the +1 symbols which add 1 free spin to your total every time that land on reel 5.
The best is the Druid Free Spins Bonus feature as a druid will appear with a bottle of potion which awards 10 free spins plus a wild extra:
- Wild wins come with a 2x multiplier. If more than 1 hits, the multipliers are combined.
- The lower value I and II Roman numeral symbols turn wild.
- Any wilds that hit become sticky wilds.
- Moving wild reels that shift with each free spin.
Look out for the potion that can land on reel 5 and add extra free spins, wilds, multipliers and instant cash prizes.
Once the bonus feature, is triggered you can gamble and try and upgrade the feature you’ve been awarded. Ave Caesar also offers the chance to win a progressive jackpot prize – this is won randomly on any spin.
Leander Games has packed a huge amount of gameplay into this Roman adventure. There’s a tongue in cheek feel to the design which works rather well. We’re closer to Carry on Cleo than Gladiator here. As far as volatility goes, we’re in the medium to high range.
The combination of slick design and wide range of extras works well here. If ever there’s a Roman themed slot that deserved to be called epic, then Ave Caesar is it. If you like the theme, Playtech’s Gladiator Road to Rome is superb and based on the iconic film.