Journey through the snow-capped fjords on a quest to reach Asgard in Viking Wilds, a Norse-themed slot from Iron Dog Studio. The action takes place on a 5 reel, 1,024 ways to win game engine. Tumbling reels are in play here - the reels can increase in size at random and boost the potential ways to win up to 3,125. Look out too for sticky wilds and a free spins round with expanding multipliers. Play this volatile game on all devices from between 20p and £50 per spin.
The comic book style visuals here are super sharp. Set against a wintry mountain backdrop and watched over by a mighty warrior, the reels feature Norse style A to J royal values as well as an axe, shield, helmet and hammer. They’re joined by a trio of rune stone banners. The best of these is the red standard which pays 5 times your stake if you land 5 in combination.
After a winning combination hits, the successful symbols are removed and new ones drop in and replace them. The symbol drops keep on coming as long as a new winner hits. Wilds are central to the action in Viking Wilds. There are 3 of them that can hit in the base game:
- Standard Wild - this can land anywhere apart from reels 1. It substitutes for all standard symbols.
- Sticky Wild - this can appear on reel 3 only. Rather than disappearing following a symbol drop win, it’s not removed from play. Instead it drops down 1 position.
- Expanding Wilds - the third wild can land on reels 2, 3, 4 and 5 only. When it hits, it expands and turns the whole of the reel wild.
To the left of the reels you’ll see 3 keys. Land a standard, sticky and expanding wild in the same single series of symbol drops fills all 3 keys and opens up the game’s Free Spins feature. You’ll start with 12 free spins at 1x on the standard 5x4 reels. If you have expanded reels on the triggering spin, then the starting numbers rise:
- With 1 expanded reel, you’ll begin with 14 free spins and a starting multiplier of 2x.
- With 3 expanded reels, you’ll begin with 16 free spins and a starting multiplier of 3x.
- With 5 expanded reels, you’ll begin with 18 free spins and a starting multiplier of 4x.
Every time the reels expand or you land an expanding wild during the feature, the reels increase in size and a multiplier increases by 1. At their maximum, the reels can offer 3,125 ways to win. This is known as the Expanding Reels feature which also applies in the base game.
Vikings Wilds is an impressive slot. The visuals are superbly done and the stirring soundtrack is an ideal fit for the epic theme. The gameplay matches the classy design too. The symbol drop game engine keeps the pace moving and the wild extras and multipliers offer some serious potential. The variance here is high with maximum wins of 6,000 times your stake on offer from each free spin.
The Norse theme was one of the most popular of 2018. With arrivals like Viking Wilds, it’s just as likely to be as popular in 2019 and going forward. If you like the Norse theme, Blueprint Gaming’s Vikings Unleashed MegaWays or NetEnt’s Vikings (based on the TV series) are recommended.