Based on the pagan festival that marks the spring equinox, Gifts of Ostara is a 5 reel, 20 payline slot from Iron Dog Studio. Magic golden eggs can deliver a host of extras including expanding wilds, sticky wilds, free spins and multipliers. Play from between 20p and £40 per spin.
Gifts of Ostara is a nicely crafted slot as far as design goes – with a pastel-coloured cartoon forest in the background, the reels include 5 ornately decorated eggs alongside jelly beans, lollipops, cupcakes and meringues. The latter is the most rewarding symbol – 5 of these on a payline will get you 100 times your total stake.
To the right of the reels, you’ll notice a hole in the ground – a golden egg can pop out of this and award a range of extra goodies:
- X Multiplier feature – this will award a payout equal to 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 times your bet.
- Silver Bunny feature – here you’ll receive 1 free respin.
- Golden Bunny feature – a prize equal to 30 times your stake is awarded if the Golden Bunny hatches.
- Wild feature – an expanding wild will appear on reel 2, 3 or 4 and will replace all other symbols.
- Sticky Wild feature – 3 free spins are awarded here complete with a wild locked in position on 1 of the middle 3 reels.
- Free Spins feature – the golden egg can also transform into the A to 10 eggs. If you fill all 3 places with the same value egg, you’ll be awarded 10 free spins. All wins will be boosted by a multiplier, the size of which depends on which egg triggered the feature: 10 = 1x, J = 2x, Q = 3x, K = 4x, A = 5x.
Iron Dog Studio deserves a pat on the back for trying something original here – the features, and the way they are triggered, is certainly unusual. The design is excellent too, combining top notch visuals with a fantastical soundtrack.
Despite all those positives, we found Gifts of Ostara a bit frustrating to play. We were 1 matching egg away from triggering the free spins on numerous occasions before eventually landing the feature. The other extras came along fairly regularly. The best returns are on offer from the free spins though, especially if you manage to trigger them with a decent multiplier. We’d put the variance on the high side of medium.
We found Gifts of Ostara to be an intriguing slot – the design and features impress. It’s landing them that’s the tricky part. They can deliver some decent rewards when they do arrive though. If you’re looking for a slot that offers something a little different, then Gifts of Ostara is one to consider. If you like eggs though, NetEnt’s EggOMatic is recommended.