Keystone Kops is an IGT-powered jackpot slot with 5 reels and 30 to 100 paylines. Playable from 30p to £120 per spin across desktop, mobile and tablet devices, this fun offering comes with 5 base game bonus features, 2 free spins features and a progressive jackpot feature – it combines features from 3 land-based games.
The game focuses on the bumbling adventures of the Keystone Kops – with cartoon style graphics and a slapstick feel, symbols on the reels include police hats, handcuffs, whistles, batons and old-school telephones. You also have 4 Keystone Kops.
The most valuable symbol is the kop with the baton is his hand as he gives you 125 coins for 5 on a payline. There is also a wild which substitutes for all symbols bar the 3 scatters and vault door (more on these below). Gameplay wise, the game is played on a 4x4x3x4x4 reel set.
When it comes to features, Keystone Kops has plenty – there are 5 alone in the base game! Here are all the details:
- Scuffle Shuffle feature – this is triggered when a full stack of any of the 4 kops or the wild appear on reel 3. The symbols then shuffle moving to different positions on the reels. Any of the 4 kops, the scatter symbols or any of the 5 low value symbols will transform into the triggering symbol. The symbols can shuffle up to 5 times with a reward after each shuffle.
- Second Chance Bonus Trigger feature – when the Bonus symbols appear on reels 2 and 3 only, 1 of the symbols on reel 4 can randomly be transformed into 1 of the 3 bonus symbols to trigger the corresponding feature (more on this below).
- Shuffle Up feature – if you get a win on reels 1 through 3, this feature may trigger randomly and shuffle symbols on reel 4 and 5 to enhance your winning combos.
- Symbol Upgrade feature – after a winning spin, this feature can trigger randomly. The symbol involved in the best winning combo is upgraded to the next highest paying symbol to give you better wins. If you already have the top paying symbol, it upgrades to a wild.
- Mystery Multiplier feature – randomly, a multiplier of between 2x and 10x may be applied. This multiplier can be applied to the Scuffle Shuffle, Shuffle Up or Symbol Upgrade features!
Now, look out for the Keystone Kops badge scatter in any position on reel 2 and 3 as well as the Pilfering Pooch symbol on reel 4 as this activates the Progressive Picks Bonus feature. You then pick from vaults to reveal 1 of 2 fixed jackpots or 1 of 2 progressive jackpots. The silver or gold coins award 500 or 750 coins (respectively) whilst the silver or gold bars trigger the respective progressive jackpot.
If you get the Keystone Kops badge scatter on reels 2 and 3 with the vault door scatter on reel 4, you will play the Pie Patrol Free Spins Bonus feature – you will get 8 free spins initially. Playable on a 100 payline reel set, 2 or 3 Keystone Kops badge scatters will give you 2 or 8 more free spins (respectively).
More importantly, you can benefit from 2 more bonus features during the free spins. After every free spin, a chef hat appearing on reel 3 will activate the Random Wild feature. All symbols on the middle reel become wild with the Pie-man throwing dough at the reels transforming between 6 and 32 symbol positions into wilds! Randomly too, the Random Multiplier feature may give you a random multiplier between 2x and 10x on any free spin.
Lastly, you have the Pilfering Pooch Free Spins Bonus feature which is played when you get the Keystone Kops badge scatter on reels 2 and 3 as well as the Pie Patrol scatter on reel 4 – again, you get 8 free spins. As with the Pie Patrol Free Spins Bonus feature, 2 or 3 Keystone Kops badge scatters reward you with 2 or 8 additional free spins.
Playable on a 100 payline reel set, the Random Multiplier feature can trigger randomly on any free spin. There’s also a Snaking Wilds feature which is played when the dog bone symbol appears in any position on any reel. A Keystone Kop emerges from each triggering symbol and roams around the reels – it will transform a path of between 6 to 21 symbols turning those positions into wilds.
Let’s take a breath! There’s certainly a lot going on in Keystone Kops – in total, there’s 11 bonus features! I really like the 2 free spins features as you can get random wilds, random multipliers up to 10x and a trail of wilds. It’s a medium variance game with balanced wins throughout – entertainment wise, it’s superb. Overall, a great game by IGT that offers fun, big wins and plenty of bonus features. If you like the theme, Novomatic’s Cops ‘n’ Robbers is recommended as to is Playtech’s RoboCop which is based on the iconic film.