For people of a certain age, Thundercats was a staple of Saturday morning TV viewing. Now slots fans can join Lion-O and company in this 5 reel, 30 payline version from Blueprint Gaming. It comes with 5 different free spin rounds, complete with added extras, as well as 5 more base game modifiers. Play, on all devices, from between 40p and £500 per spin.
The design here will be familiar to anyone who has seen the original 1980s cartoon – you’ll see all of the show’s main characters alongside lower value playing cards and an assortment of weaponry-related symbols. There’s also a wild that replaces everything apart from the bonus symbol.
Land 3 of that Bonus symbol on the same spin and you’ll activate the Thunder Wheel Bonus – this decides which free spin bonus you’ve been awarded. You can gamble and try and land a better feature – lose that gamble and you’ll get a consolation cash prize. Anyway, here’s what you can get:
- Ultimate Thunder Spins feature – here you’ll get 5 free spins with stacked wilds on reels 1, 3 and 5.
- Mumm-Ra Free Spins feature – 10 free spins are awarded here. Any wilds that land are collected in the Mumm-Ra bank. After the final free spin, you’ll get a single super spin on an expanded 8 high set with the collected wilds added.
- Slithe Free Spins feature – you’ll get 10 free spins here too, complete with sticky wilds. Land a full stack of wilds and 5 extra free spins are added to your total.
- Monkian Free Spins feature – look out for the special Hot Zones that are in play during your 10 free spins as they can transform into wilds. Land the Thundercats symbol on reel 5 and you’ll get an extra 5 free spins.
- Jackalman Free Spins feature – every time a wild lands during your 10 free spins, a multiplier increases by 1, up to 1 maximum of 10x. Once again, the Thundercats symbol on reel 5 triggers another 5 free spins.
Thundercats also comes with a series of base game extras – these are triggered by landing the special symbol on reel 5 and are played out on an expanded set of reels. Again, you’ll spin a wheel to see which extra is awarded:
- Lion-O feature – Lion-O’s Sword of Omens on reel 3 will explode into life and in the process launch a series of random wilds.
- Tygra feature – after paying out as usual, any wilds expand and fill the whole reel. A new payout is then made.
- Cheetara feature – the Cheetara wild in reel 1 activates a mystery streak which slides across the reels adding wilds.
- Panthro feature – Panthro transforms symbols into giants stacks of the same symbol. A payout is made with the extra stacks of symbol in place
- Wily Cat feature – look out here for up to 2 stacked wilds. Payouts are also boosted by a 2x multiplier and doubled.
Look out too for Snarf who can turn a loss into a win or improve a modifier. He can also increase the number of Bonus symbols on the reels boosting your chances of landing the Bonus wheel.
Blueprint Gaming has packed plenty into Thundercats – if you like plenty of variety in your play, you won’t be disappointed with what’s on offer here. We found the design a little cluttered and it takes a while to get accustomed to the potentially unusual set up and features. I would recommend you play the game on your mobile or tablet device in portrait mode.
We enjoyed the original TV cartoon and this slot version is a solid adaptation. If you were a fan of Lion-O and the rest of the gang then all we’ll say is “Thundercats. Hooooo!” If you like slots based on cartoons, The Flintstones by Playtech is recommended.