A dapper conjuror unleashes a bag full of tricks in Magic Ian, a feature heavy slot from Blueprint Gaming. Played using a 5 reel, 25 payline game engine, it comes with 10 base game modifiers as well as 4 free spins rounds complete with wild extras. Wave your magic wand from between 25p and £125 per spin.
The design in Magic Ian has a classical feel – picture Harry Houdini rather than David Blaine. The setting is a beautiful old theatre. The reels feature playing card suits as well as a selection of magician’s props. They include cards, flowers, top hats and magic wands. The Magic Ian symbol is the top paying standard symbol, offering awards of up to 400 coins per payline. There’s also a wild, the rabbit, that also pays up to 400 coins per payline and replaces everything bar the scatter.
The dandy magician watches over proceedings – he can spring into life at random on any base game spin and magically add 1 of the following modifiers to the spin that follows:
- Expanding Reels feature – the game engine expands up to 8 rows high complete with 50 rather than 25 paylines.
- Levitation Spins feature – extra symbols float onto the reels and Ian drops them into place to create new winning combinations.
- Teleport Spins feature – a second set of reels is added, doubling your winning chances.
- Mirrored Reels feature – between 2 and 5 reels show matching symbols.
- Chest Of Wonder feature – magic chests at the bottom of the reels can turn whole reels wild.
- Symbol of Surprise feature – special mystery symbols are added to cover entire reels and can pay on every payline.
- Magical Streak feature – a re-spin streak is awarded. This continues until no new matching symbol lands.
- Shuffling Symbols feature – Ian shuffles symbols to turn a losing spin into a winner.
- Bonus Boost feature – extra Bonus Symbols are added to the reels.
- Super Bonus Spin feature – land 2 bonus symbols and you will be given a re-spin offering a second chance to trigger the Circle of Magic Bonus round.
To trigger that Circle of Magic Bonus round, you’ll need to land 3 bonus symbols on the same spin. Select from the playing cards to add multipliers, feature upgrades or extra feature wins to the bonus wheel. Then spin the wheel – depending on where the pointer lands, you’ll get 1 of the following.
- Cash Prize feature – a multiplier prize is applied to your total bet.
- Magic Rope Free Spins feature – you’ll start your free spins on a standard 5 reel, 3 row machine. Look out for the magic rope wild which turns the whole reel wild and increases the number of rows by 1, up to a maximum of 8.
- Teleport Spins feature – a second set of reels is added here. If a teleport wild hits on 1 set, it will morph into the same position on the second set.
- Levitation Spins feature – overlay wilds float onto the reels to create winning lines. The reel set can expand here too, again offering up to 8 rows and 50 potential paylines.
- Metamorph Spins feature – Metamorph wilds are added to reels 2, 3 and 4. When they land, the number of rows expands by 1 (up to a maximum of 8 rows). 1 extra free spin is added to your tally too. Any wilds that hit are sticky for the any free spins you have left.
If you’re disappointed with your free spin offering, you can try and gamble for an upgrade. Lose the gamble though and you won’t get any free spins at all, just a consolation cash prize.
Blueprint Gaming has managed to pack in a huge range of features into Magic Ian. Expect to land the base game modifiers regularly. The Circle of Magic free spins are harder to come by. The wild extras that come with them can quickly have a big impact though.
This slot is very easy on the eye – the cartoon visuals work very well and there’s a suitably jaunty orchestral score to accompany your spins. No complaints on the design front then. With its high-class sound and visuals and massive range of extras, Magic Ian certainly knows how to put on a decent show. This is one performance you won’t want to miss. I also recommend you try other Blueprint Gaming offerings with Thundercats and Ted recommended.